Wednesday, October 19, 2011
Being Careful but not Faltering
Beware of the Snare.
There are two things the child of God ever needs to remember, and these are, that he has a wise Keeper, and that he has a wily enemy, and this wily enemy is always on the look-out to entangle us in the meshes of his snares.
1. The snare of pride. ”The snare of the devil” (1 Timothy 3:7 KJV). The snare in which Satan entangled himself to his own downfall was pride (Ezekiel 28:1-9 KJV). Beware of this gin. It has many colours and shapes.
2. The snare of riches. ”They that will be rich fall into temptation, and a snare” (1 Timothy 6:9 KJV). Glittering gold is a snare that has fascinated many to their overthrow and destruction (Acts5:1-9 KJV).
3. The snare of sleepiness. ”Awake (margin) themselves out of the snare of the devil” (2 Timothy 2:26 KJV). Strife will stir up the old man, but it will put the better man to sleep.
4. The snare of idolatry. ”Gideon made an ephod . . . . . which thing became a snare unto Gideon, and to his house” (Judges 8:27 KJV). Idolatry is committed when anything or anyone is put in the place of God.
5. The snare of faltering. ”Thine eye shall have no pity upon them, neither shalt thou serve their gods, for that will be a snare unto thee” (Deuteronomy 7:16 KJV).
6. The snare of fear. ”The fear of man bringeth a snare” (Proverbs 29:25 KJV). If we fear God, we need fear no one else, be he man or devil.
7. The snare of evil companionship. ”They shall be snares and traps unto you” (Joshua 23:13 KJV). The breath of the world will tarnish and infect us in our spiritual life.
Take heed and beware of the devil’s snare!
But remember that your only true hope and strength is Jesus Christ, our Lord and Redeemer.
And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.
He that keepeth his mouth keepeth his life: but he that openeth wide his lips shall have destruction.